Friday, August 29, 2008

Love those caladiums

Been back from Kuching, where we spent about a month of holiday. At the first opportune moment yesterday, I went to the mid hill footpath to check on the caladiums I planted sometime in early July.  To my amazement, they grew like ..well crazy. I had purposely planted these caladiums as ground cover for the heliconia strictas section of the footpath.
Their excellent growth must have been due to the filtered light, rich forest soil and the regular rain experienced in Bintulu lately. Caladium x candidum have large ovate heart leaves and may come in various colours and combinations of colours.  As an example above, the green veins spread over the white wash leaves.  Generally they like sunlight but not direct. You can get heads over heels about caladiums when they are at their best colours.  As such there are one of my favourite foliage plants.

No comments: