Sunday, November 2, 2014

Tidying up the garden

View of main side garden, looking west.

Clippings as mulch
 It has been a very healthy morning.  Been doing the grass cutting of the lawn.  One of the benefits of a good lawn when cut low is the by-product of the cutting operation  called clippings.  Here I re-cycle the clippings as mulch.  Nothing should go to waste.  It took me a good 30 minutes job to cut the grass with the mechanical bush cutter.  The clippings are swept with a rake and then placed around the bases of plants.  Only when I have excess clippings do I use them as burning material for burnt earth.  I am showing below the list of basic  equipments for this morning's grass cutting operation and garden maintenance works.  The list includes the bush cutter, rake, hoe, hand pruner, 'parang' (Malay to mean matchet),  basket, saw, ground chisel and safety spectacles or goggles.
Seedling of the Foxtail Palm (Wodyetia bifurcata) with grass clippings  placed around its base.

I have planted three seedlings of the Foxtail palm (Wodyetia bifurcata) which I raised from seeds at the side garden facing the porch.  They have been planted early in the year,  They seem to be growing at a slow pace which is quite alright for me because I have already some tall palm trees in the garden.  These Foxtail palms will add to the variety of palm collection  in the garden.


Tools and equipments for grass cutting and general garden maintenance job

No comments: